Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Desert Star Sport

Frank,

Not addressed to me, but I'll throw in my two cents. Most commercial pingers are ultrasonic. The hydrophone that David came up with uses a "sonic" piezo element centered at around 3khz so it would not be resonant to the higher frequency commercial pingers and would not detect them.

The Desert Star scuba pingers provide both direction and range and can be used exactly as you've described. Unfortunately we have never been able to succeed at getting directionality out of the HBH (home-built hydrophone) using 3khz piezo elements, however my experience was that it was very easy to determine range based upon the loudness of the "ping". Therefore, by running a grid-pattern you could "home" in on the pinger by just listening to whether the sound was getting louder or softer. Not the most efficient way of finding an object by any means, however, and similar to what you would have to do with a down-looking sonar or fish finder.

Jon