Sent: Thursday, March 18, 2010 1:40 AM
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] New Guy from down under needs help

In a message dated 3/17/2010 6:29:52 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, mpurser@ibl.bm writes:
Don’t write off laminates, do the calculations properly. You will be amazed.
I don't remember any "bashing" but I agree totally about the amazing strength of composites. It's all about the skill in fabricating the stuff. The main advantage of steel over composites is it's elasticity in an impact. It will "dent" instead of break. Composites on the other hand can be shaped easily to very complex forms, don't rust, and are flexible when tension stresses are applied. There is a great future in submarines for FRP and I expect we'll see much more of them in the future.
Frank D.