[PSUBS-MAILIST] Flooded Stability.

Vance, I am interested in your comment that “if flooded it would stand the sub on its tail.”

Is that a must to avoid?  How many subs are able to have a compartment flooded and not come up on some obscure angle?  I.e. If a battery pod  is flooded would it not make a sub come up on its side so that the hatch if opened would flood?  I am not being facetious but concerned about mine’s ability to come up with a compartment flooded.  I haven’t done the calcs yet but what designs would qualify as same.  My philosophy or belief was as long as you can get to the surface you are rescueable.  Interested in your comments on this one.  Hugh

From: owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org [mailto:owner-personal_submersibles@psubs.org] On Behalf Of vbra676539@aol.com
Sent: Thursday, 25 March 2010 6:54 a.m.
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] diesel electric propulsion module

You can't dfepend on neutral buoyany for a module as you describe. It will need to have a variable ballast tank and fairwater tanks to hold the unit up on the surface. Along with the controls for that system, you will need intake and exhaust and cooling valves interconnected to the pressure hull (or controlled in the module by reach rods), PLUS your electrical distribution to the control panel for charging and/or hotel loads, including propulsion. AND you will need an additional dropweight to offset the volume of your propulsion/charging center, as it will be way aft of your CG/CB and might stand the sub on its tail or thereabouts if flooded. Nothing to it.

Vance