From: ShellyDalg@aol.com
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org
Sent: Fri, Mar 26, 2010 9:38 pm
Subject: Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Rudder Indicator using 3 Reed Relays

In a message dated 3/26/2010 6:23:18 P.M. Pacific Daylight Time, vbra676539@aol.com writes:
Maybe I can get some real info about the things which might actually prove helpful.
Vance
Hi Vance. I understand how a big rudder helps with steering, whether the prop is turning or not, as long as there's some travel. With a big rudder, does that make the sub turn into the current if there is some cross current ? You know, like a weather vane.
Dean's sub has a big rudder and I was wondering how it would affect the sub's travel.
The big "fin" on the back of my sub may act something like a rudder in a cross current.
 I needed to add the fin because early scale model testing in moving water produced some "wobbling" and by adding the vertical fin it stopped. Now, I don't have any means to equate scale model speed in the pool to real life speed for the full size sub, but the water speed in the pool was probably a lot faster than this little boat will ever go, so maybe the fin wasn't really necessary for the expected slow speed the sub will actually go. If I had to make a wild guess, I'd say the pool speed was a scaled down 30 knots or so.
Frank D.