Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Business Oppertunity?

In a message dated 3/29/2010 8:08:47 A.M. Pacific Daylight Time, emile@airesearch.nl writes:
I am searching for a remote controlled submarine online. I'm currently a
junior at Tulane and I am interested in building a submarine controlled by a
laptop wirelessly. I own a 34' sail boat and I'd like to have a submarine
that can be controlled from the boat, maybe even automatically follow my GPS
location.
This is an interesting request, although not really our field. If a "big camera" and a "full day's charge" is what he's after there are a few commercial ROV's that could fill the bill but it sounds like he's really looking for an AUV or "Autonomous Underwater Vehicle".
I've seen a couple of those and they typically cost MANY thousands of dollars. There are two at MBARI in Moss Landing near here although I don't think they are being used. They were "one-off" tools that the guys down there made for extended surveys of Monterey Bay. The AUV's I've seen aren't wireless or even remotely controlled. They have on-board computers and are pre-programmed to follow a given course. Once the programmed course is completed they pop to the surface and emit a signal to either be picked up or some can send the data collected to a satellite where it's relayed to the research station.
As for the "remote controlled" part, you'd need the underwater communications system that Phil uses so you could stay in contact with the AUV and give it instructions. All in all it sounds like a fun project but a lot of R&D would be involved. ( read as $$$$$$$$$)
If this man wants a "big camera" thing to follow him around on his sailboat he could consider a "towfish" device. At least with a tether he'd be fairly sure it won't get lost unless it got hung up on something. It wouldn't be too tough to build a big "toy" submarine that he could sail around near his boat but with a control cable attached although the cable would need to be substantial to carry instructions to the sub and carry the video signal back to the sailboat. I've heard some of our guys mention a mini-sub ROV that could be launched from their sub while submerged as an additional set of eyes. That could be fun.
Frank D.