From: Alan James
Sent: Saturday, August 07, 2010 3:48 PM
Subject: [PSUBS-MAILIST] escaping from a K250 at 200ft

Hi All,
I know escaping from a sub has been discussed before, but has anybody crunched
the numbers to see if it's possible from a depth of say 200ft in a K250 or 350.
How long does it take to fill the hull with the flood valve? The water would be coming
in at 100 psi but this pressure would diminish progressively as the hull filled. At 3/4
full it would be 25 psi. At what stage would you start adding compressed air
to help with the equalization of the hull & how much air would you need & how fast would
it flow in?
If you filled your ballast tanks with air to try and escape an entanglement first you might
not have enough left to help equalize the hull.
When the flood time is known, how saturated with nitrogen are you & what are your chances
of surviving the bends if you opened the hatch & went straight up?
If this was pre calculated it might be concluded that a scuba tank (or 2) was needed & decompression
stops at varying depths & times were necessary.
I don't know the internal volume of a K250, I think the flood valve is 2"
Regards Alan