[PSUBS-MAILIST] Re: [PSUBS-ROV] PSUBS-ROV / AUV

Hi Lea,

Thanks for letting me know your interest in this project.

The opportunities least wise in Australia for ROVs with a scientific package for water quality monitoring of ports, harbours, and shipping lanes as they enter to port transport passage ways is hugh here.

I work for an Australian company GHD that grow from 500 to 6000 people within 6 years.

A lot of the work of my small team in Townsville involves a lot of water quality monitoring.  Basically we hire a vessel usually a 30 to 40 footer, go out drop a monitor over the side, GPS the location and move to the next location and do this for several day.

There is the shallow water work around ports in small boats.

I have been watching the commercial developments in ROVs and scientific package for this type of work and things are starting to move along but here we are still using traditional methods.

The least expensive option in an ROV at about 50K US and the best tech is the iRobot.com open water ROV that occasionally comes to the surface uploads data via a sat phone and downloads instructions to patrol below the waters and gather more data.

Compared to using a boat and traditional method the use of appropriately priced technology that can deliver represents a great opportunity.

Something able to be launched by two people over the side of a 21 foot boat would the size, with wiFi and optional Sat phone internet is perhaps the most logical configuration.   The science package are sensors for pH, salinity, turbidity, CO2, O2, and perhaps  a grab sample of 1/2 litre of water.   I would think 8 hour duration and programmable with an internal electronic compassion to go from one point to the next, surface GPS location and go from that point to the next and repeat the cycle until picked up.  Charge out the tech $100 hour or do it yourself for $200 per hour.

Thats the business end of the plan.

Yes definitely an interesting project and open to anyone that wishes to collaborate
 Cheers

Lawrie