Re: [PSUBS-MAILIST] Piping Advice

One air supply tank makes plumbing and operation simpler. The issue shouldn't be number of tanks but volume of air required for the number of dives you want to perform before having to refill. I personally like the solution JimK took with Bionic Guppy putting an industrial sized air cylinder on the outside of the hull. Easy to get on/off and a large capacity of air available. The advantage of a manifold is that you can group all your in/out valves in one place instead of having them all over the cabin. George's ballast/vent plan is simple, but requires many valves. I'd love to see a manifold system with a double throw valve so that you push ONE valve forward and it vents, push that same valve rearward and it blows, no air flow in the center position. That would cut down on the number of valves and plumbing required.

You are correct that the VBT 1/2 inch pipe acts as both "blow" and "vent". I can't explain the dual valves on the VBT vent pipe in front of the CT, but certainly George didn't use it on the K600...see link below that shows the VBT vent (at top on photo) with only one valve on it.
http://www.psubs.org/projects/common/scripts/display/bigpic.cgi/projects/1234567801/k-600submarine/37.jpg

You're a pretty slim guy, as was Kittredge, but for chunkers like myself I find the layout of both the VBT and emergency drop weights to be ill-conceived due to the fact you have to reach behind you to get access to the valves and releases to work them. A skinny guy can turn around easily enough inside but not us big guys. We have to reach behind blindly and then we don't have the same torque or force available as if we were facing the valve. I plan on changing the K600 VBT and may take Alec's approach and do away with it completely relying on calculating payload and offsetting by adding/removing weights. I also plan on redesigning the drop weight release. Unfortunately I haven't gotten that far yet so haven't considered alternatives.

I think George did a great job with the K-boat designs BUT that he designed them with himself as a model. George probably never weighed more than 140 lbs at his all time highest and could easily contort himself in/out/around the cabin, but for physically larger folks it is tough to do, not to mention if you have a sore arm or leg. I would not hesitate to rearrange things that make more sense or make it easier for YOU to pilot your vessel.

Jon