Re: Thru hull seals

Hi Rhonda,

The devices are called "stuffing boxes". Any boat or ship with a inboard
engine should have one. Essentially it's a tube that goes through the
hull. Through the tube goes the shaft. In between the shaft and the
interior of the tube is some kind of stuffing material. On the end of the tube
inside of the boat is some kind of nut that tightens down on the stuffing
material to pack it tight against the staft.

There are serveral designs. The best way to see one it to pop by a
boating store or dealership.

Contrary to popular belief "stuffing boxes" do not keep the water out. In
fact they allow a little bit of water to seep into the boat. The reason is
that the water cools the shaft as it rubs against the stuffing material.
Without the water the shaft would burn out.

Regards,
Ray