Re: A sub question

On Wed, 09 Sep 1998 15:11:41 -0400, "Alan D. Secor" <secor@btv.ibm.com>
wrote:

> AUVs have the same problem BUT are they positively buoyant?

Well, the one I'm building is :-) Not as positively buoyant as a manned sub
like Deep Flight, but it will float up if it stops.

> I imagine they
> can stop or go slow to avoid an object without floating to the surface.

Positively buoyant subs can stop too, they'll just start floating up if you
do. That's a pretty reasonable tradeoff for collision avoidance. They can
also turn, angle up or down, etc.

Also, just because a sub is positively buoyant, doesn't mean it has to
float to the surface everytime it stops. It will float up, yes, but as soon
as you start moving again and establish flow across the fins you're back in
control again.

Later,
Jon

   Jon Hylands      Jon@huv.com      http://www.huv.com/jon