Re: CORRECTION: ROV site

At 15:37 -0700 9/25/98, John Brownlee wrote:
>	No 'h' in technadyne. Still haven't heard from their sales rep
>about pricing on the larger 1 and 2-5HP thruster units. They have Kort
>nozzles and use magnetic coupling to avoid the shaft seal issue entirely,
>which is sort of what I was thinking of anyway.

Mmmm. Is this maybe like my aquarium pump, where the coils for the
stationary part of the motor are sealed up dry in the walls of a plastic
cylinder, and the armature part sits inside there, wet, and spins away? Or
is it more like something analogous to the fluid coupling in an automatic
transmission? Either way, this sounds like the way to go if one really
wants to avoid all those potentially-leaky areas.

By the way, I dug out my Popular Science/Mechanics pile of sub articles,
and was looking at the one which was to be a sealed glass sphere with no
through-hull passages at all. The gobs of batteries and thrusters, ballast
tanks and whatnot would be sealed away in a completely separate carriage,
with a "photoelectric control box" to send control signals through the
glass. The only mechanicals inside the hull would be the air scrubber under
the floor insert. I wonder if any were actually ever built? "Bucket Seats"
was apparently an important-enough design feature to warrant mention. (July
1966 Popular Science. If you can find it at your library, tell me which you
think looks most like the consumate P-Subbers: the vibrant, mod-looking
couple in full color on the cover, the weenies in the drawing on page 63,
or the black-rimmed glasses/ white shirt/ black tie/ Apollo-NASA type* on
page 62...)

Also what is a Kort nozzle? Just curious about this stuff -- me, I'm just
using a trolling motor my dad lent me and never asked for it back...

*no offense, John - If this is your personal "look"... ;-)

---------
David
buchner@wcta.net
http://customer.wcta.net/buchner