Re: CORRECTION: ROV site

Magnetic coupling is a method of transferring power from inside a housing to
outside using magnetic fields.  Basically, a magnet spinning inside a housing
will turn a magnet outside the housing.  This avoids penetration of a housing
with a shaft and thus avoiding any potential leaks around a shaft.  Generally,
this is a good idea for deep submergence where pressures are extreme.  It is
NOT analagous to fluid coupling, but I agree that fluid coupling could provide
some benefit also.

Kort nozzles are basically propeller shrouds.  They increase the efficiency of
the propeller and are slightly conical.... wider on the intake (leading edge)
and narrowing toward the exhaust side (trailing edge).  I have not found any
good references on Kort Nozzle design, but I haven't looked real hard.  I
think they work by minimizing vortices (and/or cavitation) at the propeller
tips, and by  directing the thrust kind of like a turbine design.  Many Kort
nozzles are also shaped almost like an airfoil, with a thicker leading edge
and a thinner trailing edge.

Surely someone out there knows more about this than I do, or can describe it
better, so let's hear it!

Stan