Re: PVC

A little observation about PVC.  It has a compressive strength of about
10,000psi.  This is about 1/10th that of the steel I understand is commmonly
used in subs.  It is maybe half as expensive as steel on a volume basis! and it
is about 1/7th as heavy.  So to make a pressure hull it would cost maybe 5 times
as much as the same steel hull and weigh at least 43% more (and this doesn't
even account for the increased diameter)!  Also, have you ever tried to
precisely machine large plastic parts (for those perfect tongue and groove
joints)?  It is a very tricky task at best, steel is much easier to work with
(and repair).  I am working on some 10" PVC pipe for the main hull of a diver
propulsion unit and it is bad enough.  I can't even imagine how difficult a 7'
diameter part would be.
So let me know how it works out, eh!
Dick