Attn. all newbees

F Phillips wrote:

> Thanks Jon Shawl,  You're correct.  PVC is too obvious a solution and
> probably has been many beginner sub builder's "new" bright idea.  I guess I
> missed the plywood sub you mentioned in the archives.
>
> I think the archives should be required reading because a newbie will always
> drag up old, over-discussed ideas if they haven't first digested 3 years of
> archives.  Is that the "bad John beating a dead horse" joke?  I get the
> message.

I never said that there was a "bad John"  I didn't even use the word "bad" at
all. I was just trying to make a joke and somebody got it all messed up. I was
just trying to be humorous, but maybe some people in some parts don't call the
bathroom "the John".  As far as the dead horsie thing, that goes way back to
before my time with p-subs. The phrase "beating a dead horse" was started after
way too much discussion about something simple. We tend to talk about something
till it's a dead issue and then talk about it more,  it gets to be like beating
a dead horse, enough is enough.
Now do you get it? If not and I have to explain it again then I will be guilty
of beating a dead horsie.

> Were the propane tanks your first choice,

It was my only choice as I didn't have any money at the time, and I still don't.

> Jon is it still a beginner's best choice right from the start?

I don't know about the best choice, but it was right for me at the time.

> In other words, would you have used different construction methods today?

If I had unlimited cash on hand then yes it would be different. I have another
500 Gallon tank that is almost a sphere. I have thought many times about
starting over using this other tank. If I do start over, there are some small
things I would like to do better.

>  Would you even think of a wet sub instead of your dry sub due to your time
> and expenses?

I don't think I could have made a wet sub any cheaper than the dry sub I made.
And I'm not much interested in a wet sub. Even when I scuba dive I use a dry
suit not a wet one.

Jonathan Shawl