AIP

For my own interest I've been looking at the various AIP systems in
development and/or use today, and how viable they are to homebuilding.
    The French MEMSA system is a 2 loop steam turbo generator, although
scaled down, in concept they simply replace the nuclear reactor with a
combustion chamber and keep the rest of the system.  Definitely to
complicated for homebuilders.
    The German fuel cell is fairly standard as far as fuel cells go,
personally I wouldn't consider it safe in a home built, although not
impossible.
    The swedish Stirling is simple enough, although I don't believe
anyone manufactures an engine in the power range that might be
workable.  Making one from scratch is feasible, especially since you
don't have to use metal, just something that can take whatever heat
range your hot gas generator develops.
    The last one that I have information on could be the most practical,
as any small engine could probably be modified.  this is the Dutch
closed cycle diesel.  This was experimented with during WW2 by the
germans, mainly for their midgets.  It involved recycling the exhaust
back into the air inlet, with the addition ao some more air/oxygen.
    The Italians are experimenting with a system but I don't know
anything about it yet.

Comments?