Re: Control surface configurations (was: Typhoon)

In a message dated 7/12/99 7:20:21 AM, rmorrisson@unidial.com writes:

<<Ok, does anyone want to talk about hull design?  I would like to bounce
ideas off
someone who can help with my design.  I am aiming for an ABS approvable design
but don't necessarily want to go to the expense of actually getting the
approval
for my personal craft.

Later,
Dick

That's basically the way most of George Kittredge's boats were built. The
design was approved, but the Bureau has to oversee construction of each and
every molecule in order to bestow their A-1 with the cross. A less favored
method is to do it yourself and go operational, thus proving the design. You
can get the A-1 that way, but not the cross. The big thing is to create the
QC package to capture all the data required during construction. Samples,
Charpy, calculations, weld tests, x-rays & dye penetrant results, and all
that, as well as the design package and all the drawings. Are Lloyd's any
less expensive to use than ABS? Maybe Phil will chime in as I have not priced
it. I just remember that George chose them in lieu of ABS for the K-600 due
primarily to what he called "the awful expense" of the Bureau prelims (and
because it was going to Europe, of course).

As to design, these folks are engineers, and they have approved some odd
variants over the years. The most successful small submersibles in history
are the Nektons and look at that bloody great battery box welded into the
hull! Makes the engineers I know shudder a little bit, just to look at it.
Not because it doesn't work, but because it DOES work. And beautifully. ABS
will certify anything that works, I suspect, so long as it functions as
predicted, is built as specified, and is approved in advance. And remember
the old ironworker litany:  Build to spec, beat to fit, paint to match!

Vance