Re: Control surface configurations (was: Typhoon)

-----Original Message-----
From: Marsee Skidmore <heyred@email.msn.com>
To: personal_submersibles@psubs.org <personal_submersibles@psubs.org>
Date: Tuesday, July 13, 1999 01:11 AM
Subject: Re: Control surface configurations (was: Typhoon)

>actually used to counteract it. One of the flyboys is going to have to
>remind us why airplanes bank. As I recall, it has something to do with not
>dropping like a rock. :-o Joe

    The wing lift actually turns the airplane.  Sort of like a race car
driving
through a banked corner.  If the airplane just used it's rudder to turn, it
would
physically point into the direction it wanted to go, but it would just go
'skidding'
(or 'slipping', whichever is correct) beyond the turn.  Just the way a race
car
would do if it went into a flat (versus banked) corner then suddenly tried
turn.