Re: Christening subs (was: Missile recovery trips)

In a message dated 7/14/99 1:40:47 PM, michaelbholt@juno.com writes:

<<Seriously, now: anyone have any ideas?   Phil?   Vance?   Did you guys
ever see anything relevant and unique?

Mike Holt>>

Don't know about unique--launchings tended to be pragmatic--when it was time,
the whole shop turned out and the construction supervisor for that particular
sub (usually Jim Dudley, Ty Merritt or George Bezak while I was at Perry)
climbed aboard after a REALLY thorough pre-dive and we lowered the thing an
inch at a time into the water--then ran it. Simple. The owners usually put on
some sort of do for the christening, as opposed to the first application of
water to hindquarters. I've been to several of those, and they vary. Taylor
Diving & Salvage paid for the beer. Intersub had champagne. Bring your pastor
if your mind works that way. And you'd better let your sig/other do the
bottle on the bow rail deal--
Vance