Re: Screw size and speed

In a message dated 7/17/99 4:24:44 AM, michaelbholt@juno.com writes:

<<Where did Perry get the reduction gears?   Any idea if a significant
amount of energy was lost in the gears?

All this, and it seems to me that a boat with two madly spinning tiny
screws would just look and sound funny.   Big screws may inspire
more respect.

Mike Holt>>

Easy enough to find gears, and I'm sure the losses are pre-figured. I've got
some brochures from Boston Gear around here somewhere. I was talking to them
about a centerline reduction gear to take my 2600 RPM mtr down to 300, and
changing to a bigger prop, of course. When I relocate that stuff. I'll get
back to you with it.

The Pisces boats had a pair of 5 hp motors (custom wound in-house with square
wire, so they weren't much bigger than a 1 hp perm mag mtr) with a planetary
reducer and turned 14" props. 175 pounds of thrust on those units, and Phil
still uses them on Aquarius I (don't know about III) and the surviving
operational Pisces boats along with Taurus, still use them. They are pretty
good for their age.

As for looking funny, all this stuff looks funny. Just ask Tommy's mom.

Vance