Horsepower (was: History)

On Tue, 20 Jul 1999 09:45:58 -0400 "Allan Gaines" writes:
>    Would it have required THAT much?

As I said in a subsequent post, the hull would require about 30 HP to
move it at hull speed.   If it were a surface vessel.

>Judging by the tv movie
>"HUNLEY" on TNT, the sub was propelled by eight men turning
>hand cranks using upper body strength.  How much power can
>one man generate?  Seems like I've heard 0.75 of one horse-
>power maximum.  [This is from memory, so it may be wrong.]
>That times 8 would be  6 horsepower.  And according to what
>I've read, the sub could move at about 4 knot.

You're right.   I've spend my nose is design books too long.

On page 397 of Busby, there's a formula for approximating
SHP to drive a submerged body.   I don't have the capability
to write it out correctly, but:

SHP = 0.005 * speed (knots) cubed * displacement (long tons) to the
2/3rds

Staggering through it for the first time since about 1980, I figure the
Hunley would take a bit over 1 HP to move it at 4 knots.   I've not done
anything beyond adding and subtracting on the TI-36X since . . . well,
it's been a while.

I'd think 1 HP would be sustainable from six men in those conditions, but
only for a short time.   Any bike riders out there who can comment?

Back in about '76, I wrote this formula in CBASIC and sent it to Frank
Busby; i never heard from him.   If I had a programming language here,
It would be fun and useful to build a program that would do all the
math in Busby's book.

It's amazing how much of that I lost by not using it.

Mike Holt