Platypus

I'm bad for names, so I'll apologize up front. Who was I talking to in
Australia about the Platypus sub? You were going to try chasing it down, and
I have some more info about its origins.

Platypus Marine Surveys PTY. LTD.
193-197 Military Road
Neutral Bay,
NSW 2076,
Australia

is the name and address given as the builders of the sub in the 1979-80
Jane's Ocean Technology. Nothing else in that cagegory other than an allusion
to the identical dimensions to the Nektons. There is some mystery associated
with this as the Nekton designers, owners, operators were fiercly territorial
and would not sell plans or vehicles while they were still in operation. It
would be interesting to find out more about the circumstances. The
Owner/Operator of the Platypus is listed as:

The University of Sydney
Department of Geolog and Geophysics
NSW 2006,
Australia

I hope this will lead you to some garrulous type who'll shed some light on
all this, as it is probably less a mystery for those on the spot than for us
ten thousand miles away yank types. I'm certain the sub was built, but less
sure about whether it actually operated. Any light you can shed will be
appreciated.

Vance