[PSUBS-MAILIST] grounding question

James Frankland jamesf at guernseysubmarine.com
Mon Dec 9 08:56:03 EST 2013

While i was building my sub, i had quite a nasty electrical incident.

I was completing the final wiring on the batteries and i attached a locking
spanner inside the sub to the negative terminal while i tightened the other
end.  I did that no problem but unknown to me, the spanner had turned
around and come up against the vbt linkage.  Effectivly making the entire
sub negative earth, like you would for a car as alec says.

When i tightened the positive terminal, on my final turn, the spanner i had
contacted the inside of the pod and knocking the paint off, effectivly
introduced a massive short.  A huge pile of sparks and molten spanner
blasted out of the pod right into my face and continued for about 4 seconds
(which felt like forever) until the spanner melted through and dropped
off.   That was very unpleasant and i definitly wouldnt like that inside.
I was very careful to ensure all wiring is completely isolated after that.
regards
James