[PSUBS-MAILIST] G.L. summary Pressure Hull

jimtoddpsub at aol.com jimtoddpsub at aol.com
Wed Dec 11 16:02:43 EST 2013

Hi Alec,

It sounds like GL is setting up standards to idiot-proof operations.  The manual OP valve blocking the hatch latch is just for complying with their requirement.  I hadn't previously thought of a manual OP valve to go with the AOP.  However I think I would like to have a way to cap off the AOP if it began to leak.

The interlock is for situations such as someone closing the hatch but forgetting to latch it or diving solo with the pilot's hatch closed and a rear hatch open.  Meticulously following the checklist prevents such disasters, but people sometimes screw up.  If not an interlock I would at least want indicator lights rather than depend on a rear passenger's assurances that all is latched.

I don't know if I would pull a slight vacuum before every dive or not.  Only experience will answer that.  I have a couple of very small 12V compressors around to try on a shop dive.  I may decide I like one and can find a place to mount it.  On the other hand it might be a slagiatt (Seemed Like A Good Idea At The Time) that gets discarded.  You've saved me from a couple of my ideas in the past.

Best regards,
Jim