[PSUBS-MAILIST] VBT for K-350

James Frankland jamesf at guernseysubmarine.com
Tue Dec 17 06:18:26 EST 2013

Bob,
I painted the inside of mine and after welding, poured extra paint in and
sloshed it around.  Not sure how succesful it is.  i did price up making
the tank from stainless.  It was possible, but too expensive for me.  Last
time i came out of the water i poked a thin flexible tube down the inlet
and sucked the dregs out with a fuel bulb.  Again not sure how succesful
that is.
There was also a discussion a while ago about making the tank from one of
those fibreglass gas cylinders.  Cant remember the verdict on that.
Someone also suggested filling the tank with argon while in storage.
Ive decided to just consider the tank disposable and when its rusty, i'll
replace it.
More importantly i think is the mounting system.  As per the plans is a
real pain.  I would suggest just simple flat brackets welded to the battery
pods with corresponding flat brackets welded to the tank.  Then the tank
will simply lift on and off.  Put slotted holes on one set of tabs and then
you can slide the tank back and forth to get the vent pipework on and off.
With the standard arrangement, the tank is awkward to get into place and
almost impossible to get the pipework on if you've put the through hull
pipe nipple as per the plans.
Kind Regards
James