[PSUBS-MAILIST] Escape

MerlinSub at t-online.de
Sun Dec 29 05:31:00 EST 2013

Hi Joe, the amount of sailors manage to escape is unkown. Many of them
died later on the surface without notice.
Also on a direct hit of a waterbomb, torpedo or mine the internal
explosion pressure increase kill them all.
I dive on many submarine wrecks of WWI in the North sea. A mine hit
seperate a suvb of this period normal nearly in two parts.
A other think is that opne bulkhead doors during the hit doos not help.
And closed bulkheads are never complete tight on a long term.

vbr Carsten

"Joe Perkel" <josephperkel at yahoo.com> schrieb:
On a historical but sub related note, I've been doing research of late
regarding war patrols of US Fleet Boats in the Pacific theater. Aside
from interesting history I've been looking at the fates of USS Wahoo and
USS Lagarto with particular interest. Both were lost with all hands in
shallow water and both received direct hits.

What surprises me about both situations is the apparent question in the
minds of sub veterans of the period as to why no one escaped from
non-damaged compartments?

Having been a shore based peace time Airedale sailor I am by no means an
expert but, wouldn't shock waves in both scenarios have been
incapacitating if not directly fatal throughout the ship? I am surprised
that there should be any question here.

The question comes up in that I am looking at escape scenarios and
potential barriers to same. So I wonder, can a man remain conscious and
capable with the sudden loss of pressure vessel integrity at X depth,
etc, and where the reasonable limits are? What best case failure mode
allows one to use that flood valve in the first place?

Joe

Sent from Yahoo Mail for iPad