[PSUBS-MAILIST] Sonar-related - help in translating German ultrasonics term into English

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Mon Dec 30 21:41:07 EST 2013

Greetings fellow submergence fiends!

I am hoping to tap the expertise of this group to solve a professional
problem.

I earn most of my living as a technical translator, and am currently
translating a patent application about an ultrasonic transducer. The
application is flow measurement, not sonar, but I am hoping that, the
technology being similar, the terminology will also be the same.
The problem I have encountered is with the German term Vorlaufkörper, in
this context: "Die Ultraschallwandler bestehen normalerweise aus einem
Piezoelement, auch kurz Piezo genannt, und einem Koppelelement, auch
Koppelkeil oder seltener Vorlaufkörper genannt." As you can see, it is
given as a rare synonym of the term "coupling element," which is
described as the element that couples the ultrasonic emission of the
piezoelectric element, with the lowest possible losses, into the space
where the fluid flow is to be measured. The term does not appear in any
of my technical dictionaries or in any online source that I have been
able to consult, except a European patent application appearing online,
by the same inventors and for a similar - possibly the same - invention,
which translates the term as "lead body." Another patent in a similar
field translates it as "leading body" in one place and "lead body" in
another. This is suspicious on two grounds: one is that it is a literal
translation of the German term, and the other is that the owner of this
patent would not have commissioned a translation from my client if they
had been fully satisfied with the existing one that I found.

Frustrated in the direct approach, I tried an inductive scheme that
sometimes works, namely assuming an English gloss and translating it
back into German to see if I get a "hit" on the original term. I tried
"waveguide," "collimator" and other terms that I've forgotten, with no
success.

So for the moment I've translated it "leading body," but set that term
in red to flag it for the proofreader. I would be most grateful if
anybody can steer me to a better one, as my reputation is going to
suffer if I am forced to throw myself on the mercy of the proofreader or
the ultimate client.

Best,
Marc de Piolenc

--