[PSUBS-MAILIST] Wire size

Ken Martindale wmartindale at cfl.rr.com
Thu Jul 18 12:46:11 EDT 2013

Scott,

Wire size is based on current and the insulation is based on the voltage.

The wire you are using for 20 amperes has a heat loss proportional to the current squared. So at 60 amperes the heat loss is 9 times higher so I suspect the wire might get hot.

Can you tell me what gauge wire you are using and the length? I can then tell you if the wire might work.

Ken Martindale