[PSUBS-MAILIST] Stability & Buoyancy

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Fri Nov 29 19:40:48 EST 2013

Hi everyone,
While reading through some background info for the G.L.
certification document, I came across this link with a good
explanation of stability & buoyancy
http://maritime.org/doc/fleetsub/chap5.htm

There is a phenomena described, where submarines can be
unstable to the point of turning over during the transition from
surface to diving & vice versa.
This has to do with the centre of buoyancy moving upward past
the centre of gravity. As it approaches the centre of gravity the
submarine is at it's most vulnerable point.
This would be different for individual designs & a worry if
you dropped your emergency drop weight.
I had been told by a pilot that he never stuffed around while
descending & liked to drop as quick as he could.
I didn't have a full understanding of this & thought there may
be others in the same boat.
Regards Alan