[PSUBS-MAILIST] SM Globule

vbra676539 at aol.com vbra676539 at aol.com
Sun Oct 6 22:20:23 EDT 2013

Globule was the prototype hull for the Moana class subs, built initially to prove the concept and for systems validation. I think it was 54" (whatever that is metrically, 135 cm-ish). The ports are 20" dome segments (50 cm). The Moana subs were built of two intersecting spheres that same size, and were reasonably successful, but never campaigned as hard as Hyco or Perry equipment. Plus, they flooded one and killed somebody during sea trials, which put a damper on the whole operation.

Eventually, Comex ordered PC-1203 for their own use and came to the North Sea with it. As far as I know, that was their most successful free-swimming submersible operation. The copied the 03 and built a near clone on order for Intersub during the last days of that company's activities.

Monsieur Delauze (aka Mr. Comex) liked the Globule idea as it was relatively light and handy, but updated it for his own private sub with an all acrylic hull (Remora?). He had a bigger budget than most psubbers, and a much bigger wallet. We don't hear much about Comex in the US, but they made extensive use of tethered one-atmosphere bells and built more one-atmosphere boats than Perry, nearly as many as Perry and Hyco combined. They were mostly used internally, so if you didn't work for them, you didn't see many of them.

I always thought Globule had potential. She's workmanlike, practical, and provides good viz in pretty much every direction. Maybe a 60" hull though, and smaller battery pods. They had thruster problems (those are AC units, and a pain, especially in those days). Plus you could walk around on that big boxy main ballast tank like a boat dock, which would have solved or at least reduced Alex's problem of staying aboard Snoopy in the bright Florida sun.

It makes me wonder what Greg or Emile would charge for a half dozen ports that size. Do we know anyone who can chuck up a 60" hull and machine those flanges?

Vance