[PSUBS-MAILIST] Diesel Exhaust

Hugh Fulton hc.fulton at gmail.com
Fri Oct 11 16:28:41 EDT 2013

Hi Marc,

I am in the final throes of finishing twin engine driven 2 man and I have
opted for the following:

2 x 2” Snorkels with plastic float valves leading into the cabin through 2 x
2” combination valves being manual ball valves coupled to air actuated
shuttle valves and fitted with non return valves.

This means that the non return valves will vent overpressure situation on
the surface and blow out through the snorkel float valves.

The snorkels are located inside an airbox leading into the boat part which
has about 4 cubic meters of air volume so that if I go through a wave the
float valve does not get to close and the air is drawn from the “air box”
volume for a brief period.

The air is then drawn from the cabin again through 2 x combination valves
into the engine pressure chambers.  The exhaust which also takes a large
portion of the engine cooling water goes through a raised exhaust line above
the water level then down through an air operated shuttle valve and a non
return valve exiting underwater through the center of the propeller as per
an outboard motor or stern leg.   According to the rules you should have 2
valves on the exhaust.  I am relying on the air drawn through the cabin for
cooling and as most of the cabin is protected by fiberglass I am hoping that
it wont get too much direct heating from the sun apart from through the
domes.  When the air operated shuttle valves are closed ready for diving the
engines will pull a vacuum of approx 1-2 psi before shutting down.  IF no
vacuum maintained then no dive and the engines keep running.  All untested
yet but hoping I am only about 8 weeks away.  Carsten’s system is all tested
and proven.  Regards, Hugh