[PSUBS-MAILIST] Conference

Alan alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Sat Oct 12 00:38:06 EDT 2013

Hi Psubbers,
Many thanks to everyone that made the conference such a great experience.
Alec who I went down on the Auto train with from Washington ( & snoopy) & who transported
me around quite a bit. Scott, Katy & Jon for the planning & organisation, & our interesting speakers. Doug & his family who showed amazing hospitality. One anonymous Psubber said if it were my wife she would have kicked us out after a day.
A number of us arrived a couple of days early & camped at their holiday home. What an ideal submarine base. All those cranes for launching, a 30 ft deep canal to play in, garaging for working on the subs, boats to tow us out to sea, a great cook who served us lobster for lunch etc.etc. Alec & I felt we could have gone home feeling fulfilled, before the conference had started.
It was great to catch up with people I had got to know on line for the last 4 or 5 years.
I endorse what someone said earlier about how important it is to attend if you are going to build
or in the process. Seeing the subs, riding in them & being involved in the towing was such a good learning experience. There were a few technical glitches that were a good insight at the expense of the sub owners. Emails can take me ages so it was great to yack & get through a lot of stuff in a short time. I've come back with some pretty significant ideas that I'll look in to.
If you are going to build a sub that may cost $20,000 or upward, the investment in travelling to conference to gain some experience & to net work, is money well spent.
It didn't end at conference for me as I was treated to a tour round San Francisco, & a meal, by David & Wy when there. Very beautiful city. ( when the fog rolls away)
Had a great time, thanks everyone.