[PSUBS-MAILIST] Bruce Beasley Acrylic Casting

JimToddPsub at aol.com JimToddPsub at aol.com
Sat Oct 12 09:08:48 EDT 2013

See Wikipedia for more on Bruce Beasley.  Excerpt below:

1970s

Fascinated by the esthetics of transparency, Beasley worked in cast acrylic
 for the next ten years. In 1974, members of the undersea research
community  approached Beasley to see if he could adapt his technique to cast
transparent  bathyspheres for undersea exploration. He succeeded in creating the
bathyspheres  for _Johnson Sea Link_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Johnson_Sea_Link)   submersibles for _Harbor  Branch Oceanographic Institute_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Harbor_Branch_Oceanographic_Institute) ._[6]_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Beasley#cite_note-6)   It was these submersibles
that were deployed to locate the crew compartment on  the bottom of the
ocean after the Space Shuttle _Challenger_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_Challenger)   disintegrated upon liftoff in 1986.
Beasley continued to make transparent sculpture for the next ten years. His
 transparent sculptures were exhibited widely both in the US and abroad
including  solo exhibitions in 1972 at the _DeYoung Museum_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/DeYoung_Museum)  in San  Francisco, the _Santa Barbara  Museum of
Art_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Santa_Barbara_Museum_of_Art) , the _San
Diego Museum of  Art_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/San_Diego_Museum_of_Art)
, and group shows including the _Salon de Mai_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Salon_de_Mai)  in Paris and  at _Expo 70_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Expo_70)  in _Osaka_ (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Osaka) , _Japan_
(http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japan) .

In a message dated 10/12/2013 8:00:18 A.M. Central Daylight Time,