[PSUBS-MAILIST] DC Systems Primer

Dan H. jumachine at comcast.net
Wed Oct 16 09:48:13 EDT 2013

Those high voltage DC motors are designed for variable speed drives where the power is first line voltage AC then converted to DC through a motor controller for accurate motor speeds and torque.  They aren't practical for a battery powered system.

For battery powered systems your probably better off to stick to the lower voltage motors.  With an inverter I guess you could convert the battery power to high voltage AC then convert it to DC, but I'm pretty sure you'd find it impractical with the extra equipment.

It's hard to beat golf cart controllers for speed regulation and there's tons of them out there.  Battery powered floor scrubbers use a variety of DC motors too.

Dan H.