[PSUBS-MAILIST] Best Steel to use for Sub Hull

vbra676539 at aol.com vbra676539 at aol.com
Tue Oct 22 18:52:38 EDT 2013

Jim,
PC-9 & PC-15 were (are) A537.  The 9-boat was 9/16" wall, rated and certified for 1350 feet, and the 15 (I think, originally at least) for 1500. Maybe that was the dive chamber. Don't remember. Some of the boats were normalized, too--built and sent off for a nice broil in the ovens in Alabama. Mike Stahle said no, but I keep remembering that one of the PC-14s was 7/16" wall and had been normalized. Both the 14s were rated to 1200 feet, although 1402 was sold to the Army for 600 foot service without ABS certification. They said they didn't need certification, so didn't have to pay for it, apparently.
Vance