[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-600

greg cottrell jgcottrell2002 at yahoo.com
Thu Oct 24 12:09:08 EDT 2013

Sean,

You are correct. Another advantage external rings have is that pushing in on a stiffener (internal frames) reallies on compression strength of the steel and tends to cause the ring to "cone" over as pressure is applied. When it cones, it immediately loses strength because of the changing geometry.
On the other hand, pulling in on a ring from the inside (as with external frames) is a tensile load and tends to allow the ring to remain perpendicular longer. Eventually the external ring will get "wavy" and fail also.

I think internal rings are better for PSUBS however, because most homebuilders are usually using less than perfect methods of welding/ fabrication  and the internal rings are more forgiving.

Greg