[PSUBS-MAILIST] Group Help Request

vbra676539 at aol.com vbra676539 at aol.com
Sun Oct 27 16:48:06 EDT 2013

Not to throw any cold water on this parade, I should remind you that we went through this whole thing a couple of years ago. I spoke with some very nice folks (engineers) at Minn-Kota who were pretty clear about the design parameters. They don't use kort nozzles because they don't need them. The SP101 has the guts to shove a ton and a half of fishing boat against currents or breeze, and do it all day. The bearings are designed for the load they are under at full power with plenty left over for snags. The unit itself in their view is about as good as it gets. Taking it further would require a redesign for bearing lands and webs, the bearings themselves, and the rotating shaft to apply all that new torque. They looked into korts originally, but the penalties are too high for the projected results. Plus, the 101 as it stands simply doesn't need it according to M-K. From what I've seen, they are right. You want more in that design style then you have to do what they did with the 4 hp outboard--step up to bigger windings, magnets, bearings, shafts, etc. Dollars to pounds of thrust? It's hard to beat for light duty, which is what we do.
Vance