[PSUBS-MAILIST] K-350 Mods

James Frankland jamesf at guernseysubmarine.com
Tue Oct 29 05:55:43 EDT 2013

Jon\Joe sent a message yesterday i think regarding suggested K-350
modifications.

I would suggest these as critical.

1.  Hatch.  Opening from both sides.  Worst part of the design I think.

2.  Hatch bracket.  Could do with beefing up, it feels a bit flimsy.
Probably could do with some traingular flanges welding on.

3.  Variable tank mounting.  The way the tank mounts is awkward and doesnt
allow any adjustment.  Much easier and better would be flat horizontal
brackets welded to the battery pods that join to corresponding flat
brackets on the vbt.  Slotted holes on one of the planes would allow the
tank to slide forward and back a little to allow that awkward vent to be
fitted easily.  Also the tank could be just lifted up and on.  Very simple
change.

I think other than that, other modifications are depending on how much
trouble you want to go to and cosmetics.

For example,

I changed the battery pod endcap seals.  I had a real pain trying to make
them as per the plans.  The way i did them in the end with flanges was a
lot easier.  But probably nothing wrong with the original design.

Skids.  I didnt like the ones shown, they would just get all the paint
knocked off.  Again, probably nothing wrong with the original design.

I made all the flanges and protrutions from stainless.

Electrical penetrators added to the battery pods to eliminate the ones
shown on the plans.

The 2 extra downward facing viewports i put in are really good.  You could
do away with the ones at the back and put them there instead if you didnt
want to make too many.

The dome of course.

Overpressure valve.

loads of little modifications.

I'm at work, and i better get on with some of it, instead of daydreaming
about subs!
Kind Regards
James