[PSUBS-MAILIST] Leak, pressure and life support test

James Frankland jamesf at guernseysubmarine.com
Mon Sep 2 05:45:27 EDT 2013

Hi All,

I did some tests at the weekend.  Very small pics attached as i havent
updated my site yet.

First i tested the battery pods and seals with old inner tubes.  Managed to
pump them to about 5psi.  Not much but i think it was ok to indicate any
leaks.  I couldnt see or hear anything and pressure remained steady.

Then i did the very sophisticated "saucepan test" over the hatch viewport.
I was just a bit suspicious of this one as it has no gasket, the lense
seats directly to the face.  No leak, but agreed, not much test pressure
although the saucepan was full despite the spillage out the sides.

Next i did a life support test.  I filled and ran the scrubber and then sat
inside for an hour with the hatch sealed.  CO2 seemed to level out at about
5500ppm and i topped up O2 when it got to 19%.

i also dropped half a psi of internal pressure and that seemed to hold, so
i am hoping the boat is tight.

I was going to do a leak test in a local fresh water resovoir, but as im a
bit more confident its not going to leak now and its such a logistical
fuss, im going to go straight in the sea.  Next week.
Kind Regards
James