[PSUBS-MAILIST] Leak, pressure and life support test

JimToddPsub at aol.com JimToddPsub at aol.com
Mon Sep 2 10:57:18 EDT 2013

Hi Hank,

See if you agree with my line of thinking:  At a  hatch depth of 20 feet
you'll have about 9 psi differential on your hatch and  your other
penetrations as well.   At a hatch depth of 1 foot you have  about .445 psi
differential.

For many things, the greater the pressure differential, the  greater the
chance of a leak or seepage.  However on the hatch in  particular (and
possibly on some other things), the greater the  pressure forcing the hatch against
the landing, the more tightly it will  seal.  So the hatch might seal well
at depth, but leak when barely  submerged

It seems it would be good to do both a high vacuum and  a low vacuum test.
If the hatch seals well at high vacuum, but leaks  down at low vacuum, more
work is needed on the latches or the mating  surfaces.

Best regards,
Jim

In a message dated 9/2/2013 9:21:58 A.M. Central Daylight Time,