[PSUBS-MAILIST] Leak, pressure and life support test

hank pronk hanker_20032000 at yahoo.ca
Mon Sep 2 12:12:11 EDT 2013

Hi Jim,
I am no expert on the subject, but I do a test with as much vacuum as possible.  When you dive the hatch is secured tight so there is always pressure on the seal.  Before I converted my k350 hatch to open from both sides, I did the vacuum test without securing the hatch.  I does not take much vacuum to suck the hatch down tight.  Honestly I am not sure about a low vacuum test, you could be right.   I just assumed it should be more than less.   Before I tested my last sub in the lake, I did a vacuum test and I did loose vacuum overnight.  It was very minor, so I went anyways.  Sure enough I had a leak, I took on a couple of litres of water at 200 feet for an hr.  I think my connection point from the acrylic cylinder to the hatch land was the problem.  There is no seal, it is cast in place.
Hank