[PSUBS-MAILIST] prop size

JimToddPsub at aol.com JimToddPsub at aol.com
Thu Sep 5 13:34:03 EDT 2013

Hi Marc,

I think the premise is that for a given power input, a larger  diameter
prop is going to result in a lower RPM, not that there is an  inherent
advantage in lower RPM within the scope of the question.  Perhaps  not everyone was
seeing it that way until you brought it up.

As you alluded, it also begs the questions of what range of power input and
 what range of RPM are we talking about.  That is, what do the curves  on
the graph look like throughout those ranges.  I suspect the curve and  slope
are going to look somewhat different at the upper and lower ranges than
they do in the mid-range.

I really had not given enough thought to the difference a sleek hull vs a
higher drag hull interjects into prop characteristics and choice.  And I
probably won't bother to get too deeply into that level of sophistication at
least until the vessel has a number of dives in its log.  The last 5% of
perfection gets awfully expensive.  However you're sure to hear from me
before I lay the money down on the main prop and motor.

Best regards,
Jim

In a message dated 9/5/2013 7:42:44 A.M. Central Daylight Time,