[PSUBS-MAILIST] Fwd: Help

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Tue Sep 10 21:45:27 EDT 2013

Yes, that one plan in particular is pretty nasty.  It's a Crane 8B3, not
883.  The exact wording is as follows:

Crane 8B3 Seal (see Crane DWG CF-SP-44204)
or US Seal PS 309 (see DWG K350-025-3)

The 600 required the same seal (8B3) but they are not manufactured
anymore.  I contacted Crane back when I removed the K600 motors because
it was pretty obvious they were going to have to be replaced and they
were more than willing to manufacture an exact duplicate for $1800 per
seal.  The replacement is an 8-1 which was going to cost $1000 per
seal.  That's one reason I scrapped the existing motor configuration and
decided on fixed minn-kota thrusters.  I purchased four 101# thrust
minn-kotas for less than the price of one Crane mechanical seal.

You have another option with the K350 however, US Seal PS-309 (150psi)
and they are cheap, between $50-100.
http://www.*usseal*mfg.com/pdfs/*US*_*Seal*_Mfg_Catalog_2012.pdf
I couldn't use the 309 because I needed a rating of 300+ psi but the 309
at 150psi will theoretically get you close to max dive depth.

Jon