[PSUBS-MAILIST] Trustworthy launch

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Sun Sep 15 12:15:11 EDT 2013

You'll need to definitively determine if the ballast tanks are venting
all the way or not.  Have a diver do a visual check. Assuming the tanks
are venting properly there's nothing wrong, you just haven't added
enough ballast.  It sounds like you need to add weight equal to that of
the two divers to get you where you want to be.  My rough calculation of
the K350 hull, conning tower, and battery pod 1-ATM shells show a
displacement of 3900 pounds and buoyancy equal to 2429 pounds.  Now you
have to subtract the weight of all interior parts (ribs, welds,
batteries, equipment) and then calculate the buoyancy of any outside
parts (lift rings, valves, hangers, etc) most of which will probably be
negative and deduct from total buoyancy.  Everything matters so it can
be time consuming.

The alternative is to do just what you have done, put it in for a water
test and add weight until it is close to neutral.  The 600 has four
LARGE lead weights formed to the shape of the hull placed between
various ribs.  I estimate the total to be close to 300 pounds so the
fact that you had to add as much weight does not surprise me.

Jon