[PSUBS-MAILIST] Trustworthy launch

Dan H. jumachine at comcast.net
Mon Sep 16 09:26:09 EDT 2013

Scott,

Congratulations!   By the pics you have posted and the success of your launch, I'd say you did a great job on your build.  If Captain K were still with us, I'm sure he'd be proud to see another of his design built, especially as nice as your is.  Great job!

About the vents, going to 3/4 lines would definitely help vent quicker.  If you your not venting though, it's probably because of water being trapped in the line.  Line size probably won't help that.

To test for water stuck in your vent line, use a piece of hose to blow backwards through your vent valves.  Either do it at the beginning of your dive with the conning tower open or have someone on the outside of the sub do it.  If it's getting water trapped in the line, you'll blow it back through and then it should vent all the way properly.

I had that trouble and fixed it by adding a few fittings after the check valve on the line that brings HP air into the tanks.  I fashioned a piece of tubing to blow some of the HP air directly in the fitting connecting the tank to it's vent line.  If my MBT isn't venting properly, I just give it a shot of HP air with the fill valve and blow the trapped water out, then continue venting.  Not having the lines dip up and down as they come along the hull would fix it too but it wouldn't look to nice.

Again, great job,
Dan H.
And yes, you need a bunch of lead inside.