[PSUBS-MAILIST] annealing acrylic

Alan James alanlindsayjames at yahoo.com
Tue Apr 1 21:03:02 EDT 2014

Hi Brian,
don't know about that idea, sounds like a lot of work.
I managed to form some 1&1/2" thick acrylic in a kitchen oven by
cutting a hole between the upper oven & lower oven & heating the
upper oven with the lower (warmer draw) element. I can't remember
whether I had the fan on or not, but I could manually raise the temperature
by 1degree Celcius every 10 minutes & drop it by 1 degree every 15 minutes.
The oven thermostats are useless & the actual temperature fluctuates wildly from what
you set it at on the dial. The lower element was so slow at heating the upper oven through the
small hole, that it made it easy to control. I had a probe type thermometer like you had.
If you had a low powered element in a big oven with a fan circulating the air, you should get
there, as long as the element was powerful enough to get you up to your top temperature.
As mentioned before the kiln controller is designed for exactly what you are doing & it has
a fine adjustment range.
On the safe side, if you aren't confident about the process I'd follow what others had suggested
& get them done professionally.
I remember someone saying that Captain Kitrege tested 2 identical domes, one annealed &
the other not. The annealed dome went to 800 ft & the other broke at 50 ft. ( I think that's right)
Alan