[PSUBS-MAILIST] New submarine

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Wed Apr 9 21:16:53 EDT 2014

Wow, big difference here...ABS calculator shows 2.5 inch thickness for
72inch sphere with maximum working pressure of 2578 psi utilizing the
ABS/ASME recommended usage factor of .67 which takes into account
material fatigue.

I don't think the UnderPressure program considers usage factor. If you
discount the usage factor then the ABS calculator comes up with 1.75
inch thickness with max working pressure of 2679 psi.  A thickness of
1.5 inches provides 2303 psi, below your 2543 psi requirement.

Jon