[PSUBS-MAILIST] New submarine

Jon Wallace jonw at psubs.org
Wed Apr 9 23:21:19 EDT 2014

As far as I'm aware, ABS doesn't deal with crush depth only maximum
working pressure which incorporates usage factors (n), in this case of
n=.67.  If n=1 could be considered "crush depth", then the calculator
shows crush occurring at 2287 psi with 1.5 inch thick hemisphere and max
working depth of 1532 psi with a usage factor of n=.67 which is right in
the parameters that he is looking for.  The problem with using n=1 as an
indicator of crush depth, I believe, is that there's no way to guarantee
it's an accurate representation of when the hull will fail because
actual fabrication variables resulting in less than ideal geometric
structures can lower the calculated result.  When using ABS/ASME we
should always be solving for max working pressure, not crush depth.

So your observation is correct, and solving for a working depth of ~3000
feet results in a much thinner hemisphere.  I didn't know what Scott was
using for a safety factor so just plugged the numbers to get 2578 psi
from the ABS calculator, but that obviously is over-built for what
Scott's intended use is.  Using a thickness of 1.25 inches, ABS is
showing max working pressure of 1268 psi or 2849 feet, just slightly
less than his 3000 foot requirement.

Jon