[PSUBS-MAILIST] concrete

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Fri Apr 11 20:26:36 EDT 2014

I don't have hard numbers, but remember that resistance to mostly
compressive loading is a structural STABILITY problem. Most practical
steel structures buckle under compression long before reaching their
actual compression limit. Concrete has an advantage there due to its
stiffness - the NCEL tests suggest that it comes much closer to using
its full compressive strength.

That said, my primary interest in concrete is due to its cost and ease
of maintenance.

Marc

PS. If anybody is interested, I will add the relevant reports that I
have to my public Dropbox folder and post the link.