[PSUBS-MAILIST] concrete

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Fri Apr 11 22:14:56 EDT 2014

Great minds think alike. I suggested to a friend, who had bought a
fiberglas tank packaged as a 20-foot ISO container, that he split it on
a vertical diametral plane, hinge it at one end and use it as a female
mold for making submarine hulls or submarine habitat modules. I was
thinking in terms of laminated ferrocement technique, so no inner mold
required, which is good because I would have no idea how to keep it
centered. I went to a lot of trouble to work out how to support the
weight of the growing FC structure and how to integrate at least some of
the necessary appendages and hull penetrations, but I never heard from
the friend again on this topic. I guess he wrote it off to momentary
mental aberration.

Concrete is still, despite NCEL, very much an unknown quantity in
submarine engineering terms. Besides the NCEL reports, some information
is available from the offshore oil industry, which builds gigantic
semi-submersible platforms which may extend to depths of hundreds of
meters, but even that data is hard to get hold of and hard to interpret
for our purposes.

My plan, when I finally build my ferrocement or prestressed sub, is to
build two hulls (take two - they're cheap!). One will be sacrificed by
ballasting to slightly negative buoyancy and sinking it, unoccupied, in
waters deep enough to be certain to exceed its crush depth, then
recording the depth where the first failure occurs and the final crush
depth. That will be used to calibrate the code used to design the second
hull. Considering the fact that the test hull will be only that - no
fittings or equipment of any kind other than the data recording module
which will be recovered - and considering the cost differential between
concrete and steel - I think I can bring in the test hull and the final
hull for much less than a single equivalent steel hull. And as for
maintenance...he he.

Best,
Marc