[PSUBS-MAILIST] concrete

Marc de Piolenc piolenc at archivale.com
Fri Apr 11 22:49:07 EDT 2014

Is that yield strength compression only, or tension and compression? If
the latter, it is optimistic. The great weakness of un-reinforced
Portland cement concrete is of course poor tensile strength. The
stiffness, on the other hand, is high, and accounts for good structural
stability in concrete structures due to buckling resistance.

If it were possible to guarantee pure and consistent compressive
stressing, then even sidewalk-grade concrete, with no steel, could be
used at very great depths.

Marc

--
Archivale catalog: http://www.archivale.com/catalog